Sunday 17 February 2013

Breakfast Muffins

How has everyone's weekend been?

I love Sunday's, I always like to wake up early to make the most of the day. I also enjoy treating myself to a delicious blueberry muffin! Now your regular blueberry muffins are not the healthiest of breakfasts, so I have adopted a high protein, eggless version.

This is a paleo inspired recipe. The paleo or paleolithic diet is often referred to as the 'caveman diet' as it is based on the plants, seeds, nuts and of course meat that was available in the paleoloithic times - a period of 2.5million years which ended circa 10,000 years ago. So it is basically un-processed food, based on what was available to humans before the development of agriculture.

I don't follow the diet specifically as I don't eat meat but I do love the fact that it offers some really high protein recipes. For example my breakfast muffins contain almond flour and almond butter in replacement of regular flour and butter. You can use eggs if you wish but as my partner doesn't eat them I use the below recipe which uses mashed banana instead. If using eggs still add some banana though as they are a great source of energy!

Ingredients
- 1cup almond flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2-3 ripe bananas (dependent on size)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- Oats

Method
1. Add all dry ingredients with the exception of the oats and blueberriesto a bowl and mix
2. In a food processor or using a fork, puree/ mash the bananas
3. Mix all liquid ingredients together in a seperate container (including almond butter)
4. Add liguid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix
5. Once a batter is formed add the blueberries (as many or as little as you like, I love them so have quite a few!)
6. Spoon mixture into muffin cases and sprinkle oats on top
7. Bake in the oven at 180-200degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are golden with a soft, dry centre
8. ENJOY!
I also love to adapt this recipe to make apple and cinamon muffins and double choc chip muffins! I'll post those recipes the next time I make them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment