Wednesday 22 January 2014

Make The Jump

I feel like I have been on a sabbatical. I have been absent from my blog for far, far too long and I am reflecting on why that has been.

2013 was a year of great change for me; when I first started my blog on the 31st January last year I was working within Human Resources in London and started the blog as a hobby; I enjoyed fitness and had developed a specific interest in nutrition because of this, my love of cooking and to help develop high protein, paleo and vegetarian recipes.

Through this process, I began to realise where my passions truly lay and this just exacerbated the feeling that I was wasting my life in my current job; I was not realising my potential, growing as a person and in turn felt deeply unhappy.

And so, I did something drastic. I took a leap of faith.

I applied to university to study nutrition and almost as if on a whim; I quit my job and relocated back to my home in Cornwall to give me some time to get back to me. To re-learn who I am and ensure I was making the right decision about my future; I spent a month in Thailand exploring the mountains, diving the ocean and practicing Muay Thai. It was bliss. I remember trekking through the mountains and feeling completely content, making my way to the boxing gym at 7am every morning knowing that this was I wanted to do, in this moment, happiness.


I read two books whilst I was away that just reinforced my own beliefs that you have to take risks in life to do what you love and follow your dream to be the person you aspire to be; Mike Mahler’s” Live Life Aggressively” and Bear Gryll’s Autobiography “Mud, Sweat and Tears”. The former reminded me that continue to do the same action but expect different results; is the definition of insanity and that we have to be responsible for our own success by educating ourselves and constantly evolving. The latter inspired my mind to believe that my body can achieve things beyond my own expectations, that the most important things in life our love, family and faith, that if you put all your energy and focus into doing something you are a passionate about you will succeed.

I am not saying it has all been plain sailing since then; I have been constantly plagued by doubts, whether it be about living in Cornwall/London, being away from my fiancée, whether I chose the right course. But I know, deep in my heart, when I listen to my inner voice, that I am moving in the right direction. I feel so much more satisfied and content; waking up every day with purpose.

2014 for me is an incredibly exciting prospect; I know that after making all the big decisions and changes last year, that what awaits over the next 12 months is going to be hard work. I have a lot to do; physically and mentally but I am so excited!
So here I am, back in the game, sharing my journey with you and I hope you will in turn share your journeys with me. Remember you can do anything you put your mind to; all you need is the courage to make the jump...




No comments:

Post a Comment