Friday 17 May 2013

The Power of Positivity

"Positive thinking is a mental attitude that admits into the mind thoughts, words and images that are conductive to growth, expansion and success. It is a mental attitude that expects good and favourable results. A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action.Whatever the mind expects, it finds."                                                  

Remez Sasson,The Power of Positive Thinking

Not so long ago I realised, although  I hated to admit it, but I can be a bit of negative nancy. This was first brought to my attention by dear mum who, when listening to me rant about my life, interrupted saying; "Do you realise how often you say 'I can't' ?"

Whenever I have read interviews or autobiographies by any successful individual, be it in business, love or life generally, one thing they all say is you have to have self-belief and learn to turn negatives into positives.
Last weekend in Cornwall when running along the coastal path from St.Agnes to Wheal Coates; I allowed my mind to wonder about the sheer mass of the task I am undertaking and about the challenge that is Tough Mudder. The negative voices began creeping in; "you'll never do it, there's no way your going to be fit enough".
I read a book once by Paolo Coelho called By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, in which he spoke of this voice as "the other" and if we are ever going to achieve our true potential we must banish it from our mind.
A friend once told me that you need to paint the picture of what you want in your mind, or on paper if it helps. Imagine how it will feel to be there and every detail of how it will be. As for the negative thoughts; every time they arise make a concious effort to replace them with a positive thought and in my case stop saying I can't. I need to stop making excuses and get on with it.
As Richard Branson said; Screw it, Let's do it. Or Dr. Pepper; What's the worse that can happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment